DAY 2

Leaders often tell us that they receive more than they give while at Jesus Club. Jesus Club Northern Beaches earlier this year.




MATTHEW 18:3-4. “Truly I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”
Years ago, an interviewer for a Christian magazine asked me what I’d learnt from the Jesus Club Members. Actually it was more like a statement rather than a question. I was telling her about all the special-education techniques we were using in our lessons and she said, “And you would’ve learnt a lot from the Members too, right?”. I blurted out an emphatic, “yes of course”, but to be honest, I had never really thought about what the Members were teaching me… or that they were teaching me anything. I knew they made me feel incredibly loved but surely we were teaching them, not vice versa. This question remained in my mind and now I have at least one answer. The Jesus Club Members have taught me that the kingdom of God is about simply receiving. Our Members expertly display the kind of heart God wants us to have. God doesn’t need our good deeds or achievements. In fact, those things usually distract us from focusing on God Himself. What most delights God is when people come to Him wholeheartedly to enjoy Him. Our Members are wonderful examples of this. The same Members come to Jesus Club each fortnight, many of them come early, some even memorise the dates of the Jesus Club program because they’re so keen. In the book of Luke when Martha was upset that her sister Mary was not helping her to serve their guests, the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”
Pray for Jesus Club
  • Praise God for the humble, joyful hearts of our Members. Praise God for the love we receive from them. Pray that God will use people with disabilities to help other Christians understand what it truly means to be a Christian.
  • Pray for Members who love coming to Jesus Club but haven't been able to attend for practical reasons. Pray for Maria, Michelle and Lisa. Pray for Susie, Simon, Rachel and Alex. We haven't forgotten you!

Comments